Friday, May 1, 2020

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) directed by Martin Scorsese

There is something so strange to me about a man like Jordan Belfort writing an autobiography practically exposing himself as one of history's biggest economic assholes, but it makes for an incredibly wild and compelling movie, that's for sure. Martin Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street is one of the most bonkers films I have ever seen. Its unrelenting energy and hectic tone throughout truly threw me into this drug-fueled world of stockbroking and never let me up for air, despite the film being three hours long. I will be completely honest when I say that I did not enjoy this movie as much as the majority of people have and do not completely understand the immeasurable hype behind it. It is definitely an unforgettable film experience complemented by a fantastic cast, but this film never lived up to what I thought it would be. This is far from my favorite Scorsese, as I even had trouble distinguishing it as such, but there is no doubt that this will be hailed for decades as one of the greatest looks at greed and the power that Wall Street holds.

This story chronicles the financial life of Jordan Belfort (Leonardo DiCaprio) as he learns the literal ups and downs of Wall Street and gets involved in one of the most infamous laundering scandals of the late twentieth century. Ruining his life with sex and drug addictions while climbing higher up the ranks of the New York money market, he is eventually investigated by the FBI and becomes one of the most sought-after stockbrokers in history. The script, written by Terence Winter and adapted from Belfort's autobiography, provides for some very interesting insight into who he actually is as a person. Scorsese translates this script and does an absolutely great job of making us really despise him. What I enjoyed most about this film is how it might be the most 21st-century story Scorsese has ever done. From the warm color palettes to the unmatchable energy that pulses through its quick, three hours, I have never seen Scorsese this alive before. From the humorous lines of dialogue to the excessive party sequences, it is one of the most chaotic and sharply-edited films I have ever seen. Thankfully, Scorsese's style is still relatively evident as we follow the story of this central figure's downfall through the use of narration and fourth-wall-breaking. I believe, for the most part, that Belfort is being honest about his story and how he was taken down in the 1980s, but Scorsese adds his flair to really help the audience question the liability of this man. Donnie Azoff (Jonah Hill) and Naomi Lapaglia (Margot Robbie) are also some of the most crucial figures in shaping Belfort's story and the performances from these two are legendary. While I do think a lot of people think of this movie as utilizing Robbie's sexuality for the sake of its audience, she plays arguably the biggest role in Belfort's life and one that tests him on all fronts, mentally and physically. Robbie is such an extraordinary actress and she proves this yet again with her "leading character" vibes before she was given the chance to be a leading character.

My main issues with this film revolve around its structure and how it never really gives the audience much to work with other than party scenes and pure mayhem. I would have been much more invested in this film if the entire three hours were more like the third act. The last hour or so felt more like a Scorsese film than anything else throughout and that is when I finally really began seeing the script for what it was. The absolute chaos that stems from the first two hours or so of this film is nonstop and I never got much from the story. I understand that was the point, as Belfort was constantly hopped up on drugs and losing his mind, but the incessant sex, partying, and destructive behaviors never really paid off for me. I understood very quickly how much of an insane person Belfort was, to the point that an extra hour of those activities did not do much for his character. This is a sort of double-edged sword, however, because the audience does get an undeniably interesting look into his marriages and personal life, which are great for character development. However, I felt the most interested when FBI agent Denham's (Kyle Chandler) subplot began and I really think that this movie could have benefitted from a stronger balance of these two contrasting stories. This goes for DiCaprio's performance as well. DiCaprio is obviously one of the most energetic and talented performers of today but while people hail this film as his greatest performance, I just can not see why. Similar to Scorsese, he is at his strongest in the last hour or so, and I just can not wrap my head around why DiCaprio doing drugs, having sex with hookers, and screaming a lot earns the title of his "best performance." He has some genuinely fantastic moments towards the end of Belfort's marriage to Naomi and I just really wish the entire film could have showcased more of that energy.

The Wolf of Wall Street is one of the most buck-wild films about money ever made and to think that Scorsese directed it is a bit strange. I love the exploration into the world of stockbroking, doing so through the lens of an infamous figure in the late 1980s, but I never felt emotionally invested in this until the very end. Regardless of how unbalanced I feel that this was, I can not discredit any of these masterful filmmakers for never letting the energy of this movie die down.

My Rating: ½

No comments:

Post a Comment