Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Color Out of Space (2020) directed by Richard Stanley


It's been a while since I've made the time to watch a Nic Cage movie and boy am I glad that this was the one I chose to see what he's been up to. Richard Stanley's Color Out of Space is a fantastic sci-fi horror film that was just as grotesquely unsettling as I would have hoped. I am not too familiar with any Lovecraftian source material so I can't really speak on how well this film adapts the original short story but that did not change how much I loved this. Nicolas Cage is just as unhinged as I was led to believe, the hypnotizing colors infect your head with a strange sense of wonder, and I was left with one of the most distorted feelings I have had in quite a while. This neon nightmare slowly but surely gets under your skin and with the help of some amazing performances from the entire cast and creature design that will undeniably haunt your mind, this film is easily one of the best science-fiction tales of this year.

Nathan Gardner (Nicolas Cage) and his wife Theresa (Joely Richardson) live on the farm that once belonged to Nathan's grandfather with their children Lavinia (Madeleine Arthur), Benny (Brendan Meyer), and Jack (Julian Hilliard). When a colorful meteorite strikes down in their front yard one night, the family begins to experience strange phenomenons as the otherworldly energy begins to infect the family and the entire world around them. This script, written by Stanley and Scarlett Amaris, is absolutely wonderful in drawing in its audience to what may initially seem like a feelgood, family adventure. However, they pivot that sense of wonder in very clever ways. Color Out of Space is like if Steven Spielberg made an 80s movie but went full-fledged on the horror. And from me, that's honestly one of the best compliments someone could receive. Stanley's direction proves impeccable at displaying that and it felt like this movie was made just for me, despite not knowing much about the source material or any of Lovecraft's other works. Stanley does an excellent job of taking this short story, originally titled "The Colour out of Space" (which many might not have heard of before), and adapting it to the screen in such an accessible way that is not too existential but enough to thoroughly horrify any person in their right mind. His direction is very predictable, as the story hits all of its three-act beats as one would expect, but the way that he steadily morphs this family adventure drama into an oozing horror film is incredible. Stanley does both parts of this story very well, as he begins this film with an almost Amblin-like sense of curiosity but ends in a visually disturbing, Cronenberg-esque place of discomfort. I absolutely loved this story progression and I also adored how it never felt forced or unnatural. The slow spiral into paranoia actually felt earned and that also has to do with the wonderfully manic performance from Nicolas Cage.

Cage is rightfully one of the most sought-after actors of today and the fact that he chooses to lead these hypnotically weird films instead of doing blockbusters like people would expect gives him so much of my respect. His portrayal of crazed father Nathan in this film is amazing and really only he could embody it so well. One of my only issues with Color Out of Space is how I think his star power might overshadow the rest of this film's accomplishments a little too much; thankfully, that does not change how well he fits inside of this narrative. The rest of the performances from the cast are also solid and while none of them stood out as much as Cage, their chemistry as a family is fantastic. The cinematography from Steve Annis and the score from Colin Stetson help make this film a visual and sensory treat as well. Annis shoots this movie just like an adventure film and his constant use of framing to make the viewer feel uneasy was amazing. So many close-ups were also used to really drive home the feeling of insanity within its characters and his use of purple was mesmerizing. From the very beginning narration, I could tell I recognized the style of music from something before, and upon seeing Stetson's credit for the score, I knew I was in for an unsettling, good time. This film and Ari Aster's Hereditary are what I know him most for and he continues to blow me away with his grandly unnerving music. The central idea that an extraterrestrial rock can damage a water supply and infect its residents through vivid, purple color, is one of the most interesting premises I have seen recently. This simple but brilliantly-executed idea is something that I might see in my nightmares when I was a kid or even something that you would read about and get stuck in your head forever. It's such an abstract concept that never needs complete or detailed analysis and instead, the metaphysical properties of the story just take over and make you ride its wave. The visual effects and creature design throughout this film helped just that, as I was consistently in awe of the color's beauty while also revolted by the monsters that it created.

Color Out of Space is just further proof that I need to start watching more Lovecraft adaptations. This reality-bending film was one of the most unique experiences I have ever had and it combines some fantastic, classic elements of filmmaking with just the right amount of modern, sci-fi spectacle. While I adored Stanley's direction and the wondrous visual effects that created this atmosphere, the performance from Cage is really just the icing on the cake. Every technical element of this film comes together very nicely and although it becomes a tad bit predictable, it still remains one of the most effectively terrifying stories of 2020.

My Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment